Meet the Authors

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

August Rejection Roundup

Wow, is it September already tomorrow? Where did August go?

Actually, August was a pretty good month, all-in-all, even though it's still quiet. I finally got word back on an tween novel from a superstar agent; though she declined, she really liked it and offered some ideas on how to revise it and asked to see other material (which I took advantage of). The very next day, I got an email from a publisher on the same MS saying they were very excited about it and suggested only one very minor revision and would I be interested in revising and resending? You bet I would! Also, sent in two novels to fantastic agent who loved a PB I'd sent.

Not a lot of new subs out (only 3), but the ratio of personal positive rejections to forms is very good (3 personals:4 forms), so I'm pretty happy about that. Here be les numéros:

Total manuscripts out: 54
Unique PB titles: 24
> New subs this month: 3
Unique MG/YA titles: 2
> New subs this month: 0

Total rejections: 7
Form/No response means "No": 4
Personal: 3
> Positive: 3
> Negative: 0
* meaning anything that directly references my submission by more than title

Total manuscript requests: 3
Partials: 0
Fulls: 3

Offers: 0
PB: 0
Novel: 0

Mood Meter (on a scale of -5 to +5 with -5 being downright rotten and +5 being ecstatic): 3.7

Change from last month: +1.2

Even though August was a quiet month (everyone still getting over the summer conference schedule and back-to-school), the positive feedback more than made up for it.





Hope to be back next month with good news.

3 comments:

  1. Whoooa....I am in AWE of your diligence. I thought I kept scrupulous records and submitted a lot of stuff, but I look at your numbers and feel ashamed.

    After reading this, I'm going to send out a couple of stories I've had sitting around, doing nothing -- it's time they got off their backsides and went out to work.

    I want to congratulate you on the publisher thing, but I'm too superstitious, so please accept my guarded thumbs-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Positive rejections with some suggestions are great! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete